We have spent years answering our patients’ questions and taking high quality clinical photos in order to explain dentistry and dental care better. The following is a compilation of our vast library of photographs. We hope these pages help to answer the many questions our patients have.
Cavities and Fillings
- Lost Filling: What is a lost filling and how is it treated?
- Caries, Cavities, and decay: What is the difference between cavities, dental caries, and dental decay?
- Dislodged Crown: My crown came off. Should I be worried? What should I do?
- Dental Abscess: What is a dental abscess and what do they look like?
- Pericoronitis: What is pericoronitis and how is it treated?
- Infected Lip Ring: I have a lip ring and I think it may be infected. What does it look like and how do I handle it?
Non-Infectious Dental and Oral Conditions
- Canker Sores: I periodically get canker sores or aphthous ulcers. What do they look like and how do you treat them?
- Cheek Biting: I think I am always biting the inside of my cheek. What happens if I do and how do we treat it?
- Single Gray Tooth: I have a single gray tooth in the front of my mouth. Why did it happen and how is it treated?
- Lip Biting: I bit my lip while I was numb at the dentist. What does it look like and how is it handled?
- Dentigerous Cyst: What is a dentigerous cyst and how are they treated?
- Dental Fluorosis: I have pits on my teeth and I see dark brown spots. Is this fluorosis?
- Black Hairy Tongue: I have this raised black coating on my tongue and I smoke. What is it and how do I handle it?
- Supernumerary Teeth: What are supernumerary teeth and do I have them? Should I have them removed?
- Mesiodens: What is a mesiodens?
- Dental Operculum: My dentist says I have an operculum. What is it and why should I be concerned?
- Tori and Torus: I have this bony bump on my palate. Is it cancer? What is it?
- Mamelons: What are mamelons and how come I don’t have them anymore?
- Gemination: I’ve never heard of gemination. What is it?